The Strands Of Time

November 14, 2011

A little riddle for you:
What goes from ear to ear but isn't a smile?
What grows as it's peers disappear?
What is a source of confidence to some yet disgust to others?

Have you figured it out yet? How about a little visual clue?
(Image From The Baldy Man TV Show)
Yup, it's the comb-over. A source of despair for many yet, for those gentlemen who chose to sport one, it's a keystone in the pride and confidence they have in their appearance. On a strictly personal note I dislike them as I feel they never solve the problem, however I will gladly cut one if it's what the client wants. However here's the real puzzle... when I talk to men who starting to thin on top or recede they all say how much they dislike comb-overs and how they will just keep it short and tidy and clean on top. So riddle me this: for those gents who have one, did they see a picture of someone with one and think “yup, that's the look for me. My, how natural it looks and what a practical solution”?
I honestly don't understand how someone begins to grow one. In fact I've yet to have a client in my chair who's in the mid-stages of growing one. Would they ask me to keep a it longer as they hope to grow it into a comb-over? Or do they have hair that long all around and one day cut it all short bar a little bit on one side? These questions genuinely baffle me. Perhaps a more experienced barber can shed some light on the matter for me. I certainly would never ask a client! So if you read this I'd love to hear your option on the matter. Just drop me an e-mail or comment below.
- BE

2 comments:

Clarke said...

I think comb-overs result from balding men wanting to either maintain the hair style they've grown accustomed to or conceal the fact they're losing their hair.

Also, a barber can politely suggest alternate hair styles to a customer. Of course, "The customer is always right".

Barber Eile's Blog said...

I completely agree Clarke. If the customer walks out of the shop happy then it's a job well done. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all :)

Post a Comment